Tuesday 6 March 2007

Wagah border and Me



My trip to Chandigarh was fulfilling, both professionally as well as personally. Personally because I was able to go to Wagah border, my long cherished wish. But somehow, before coming here I was feeling that this gate closing ceremony is a potential diplomatic hazard. My views changed, and drastically, after this visit.

There were a couple of things that struck me when I was there. One, that none of the public, both Indian as well as the Pakistani, ever shouted anything against the other country. Infact people were hogging the gate, Indians on our side and the Pakistanis on theirs, to wave and greet each other. It was quite remarkable that in such a charged up situation, people were able to hold their nerves and not do anything stupid! It showed that despite all that has been and is happening between the two countries, the people are sane and still have love in their hearts for their old, but now partitioned, countrymen!

The second thing that struck me was way the Indian soldiers brought the flag down at sun down. The flag was brought down slowly and steadily, like a queen descending the stairs of her palace, they folded and carried it like a newly born baby. The amount of care and respect they portrayed had PATRIOTS written all over it.

We talk and debate of our right to hoist the national flag everyday. But do we really have the ability to do what it takes? Can we show the same amount of care and respect that our soldiers have for it?
We remember of our national flag only when Independence day nears, we buy small flags and put it on our vehicles, outside our homes, on our desks. But do we care of what happens to it the next day? Do we even remorse that the flag has fallen down and some vehicle may drive over it?? Do we ever show any concern that the flag might be put in a bin by someone??? I have heard of stories of our flag being hoisted upside down at a school on Independence day. Even if it might turn out to be a fictitious story, we still show the immaturity to use it as a joke!

Its time we own up our responsibility to show our soldiers that we care and we respect for what they have and are doing for us. Lets end this hypocrisy, Lets not be pretentious, Lets pledge that whether no one cares for our national flag or not, we will care and do whatever is required to keep its sanctity.

Driving back to Chandigarh, it was quite cold outside the vehicle (because it was winter) and inside (due to the AC). But if anyone noticed, there was heated debate going on in my head. I used to wonder why when we think of an Indian soldier, the image of a person wearing a turban conjures. Going back, I had my answer. Jalianwala Baug and the Wagah border had answered my questions. I made my pledge on my way back to the hotel, whether anyone joins me or not.